Skip to main content

Get In There!

Image by © Simon Jarratt/Corbis

My boys are growing up!  They are starting school again and they are more than elated.  They are putting on the final touches of gathering all of their school materials.  We are putting them (or at least trying) in the bed a little earlier to get them accustomed to the schedule.  Homerooms have been assigned and ALL 7, 263 school events have been planned. I've only put in about 3 in my calendar; I've got some work to do, huh?  Back to school night(s), PTA's, play dates and hangouts, meetings, etc.  It could be overwhelming if you think too hard.  Let's not forget that one is starting middle school -- that's a whole other blog.

Mothers are usually involved in their child's life, especially when it comes to their education.  I often times see  fathers very much in tuned with their work and careers.  That is extremely admirable and necessary.  It is important for our children to see us working and providing for our families.  The question I pose to us is this: How often should you (and can you) break from work to involve yourself in your child's events? Here's a better question:  How much more secure do you believe your child would be if they saw dad walk in on one of their events?  

I won't be able to make every event--I can't.  But I am going to ask for some time off in order to see my boys learn and grow. 

How 'bout it dads? Thoughts? I have NOS...

Comments

  1. I definitely agree that it is a great plan to try to make as many events as possible for your boys. I would have loved to see my dad at more of my events as well. It touches you in a different way than when your mom comes. It's extra special because you know he made a point to take off from work, from paying bills, to share an important time with you. That's love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Before you go, I have to tell you this...

My wife and oldest son had been feverishly preparing for this for over two years. A sojourn to Egypt is what monopolized the attention of this house for about the past week. We've been packing, buying last minute items, and anticipating an almost 24-hour travel. As my wife was packing at the gorgeous time of 4:15 am, I was writing some thoughts to my son. I was giving him advice-technical, moral, physical, and spiritual advice. Even while cutting his hair last night, I was advising him. At the end of the letter, I gave him my blessing. I wrote a letter to Paula as well. And just like the one to my son, I gave her the same type of advice, just more seasoned for her needs. And at the end of the letter, I gave her my blessing. I packed the letters away in their suitcases. They won't see them until they reach their hotel in Egypt. I learned and was reminded of a couple of things from their upcoming experience. First, perseverance has its rewards. They stuck this program out fo

Running with the pack

53:45 unofficial.  That was my time for the Veterans Day 10K race I ran.  53:45 unofficial.  My goal was to knock off some minutes from my 10K last year.  I knocked off about 5 minutes; I am happy about that.  Yet my time was 53:45 unofficial. I had a very good pace starting out.  I actually changed my running style some months ago to conserve a bit of energy.  It worked.  But during the race, I stopped...three times to be exact.  Once for water, the second time I am clueless about, and the third was because I really was tired (next time, I will stay off the late night movies and donuts before race day!)  But that was not my lesson.  My lesson was that I needed to stay in a pack, run with other people to keep a constant pace.  Why is that so important?  Well, I, The Bassman, am a very successful introvert (at least I can be).  I know how to be alone and be comfortable.  I have noticed in the last couple of years that I work best when I work with others.  That's just me.  Tryin

He can do it...

My wife was in a minor car accident that has really given her some challenges with her back. This past Sunday, she was in so much pain that it was extremely hard for her to get out of bed. Well, I had to make a decision; let my oldest stay with her and help or bring both boys with me to church and let her rest. I wrestled with the decision for a bit because I don't want them to miss church. At the same time I did not want my wife to be in need and no one be there for her. I decided to have my oldest stay with her. Before I left, I pulled him to the side and gave him very specific instructions. "Son, I want you to make sure that your play time is at a minimum and ensure that mommy is well taken care of. If she needs food, drinks, whatever, make sure she gets it." He said he was fine with that. Well, I take the youngest with me to church and choir rehearsal. After church, I returned home to see my beautiful wife looking a lot better. I asked her how she was doin