Skip to main content

Somebody's Watching Me (You too!)


You remember that song by Rockwell?  "I always feel like somebody's watching me. And I have no privacy.",  as Michael Jackson adds his infamous, "Hee hee" in the background.  I know we have all had moments when you felt that eyes were on you.  You weren't sure who was looking at you or why, but they were.  No, this doesn't have to spook you out.  In fact, sometimes it good.


I was recently at a party celebrating a milestone birthday.  The lounge scene was live and people were really excited.  The live reggae music, dancing, West Indian food, and people everywhere had set the stage for a very festive evening.  It was so much fun.  A relative of ours (we'll call him Joe for this purpose) was getting ready to leave.  He and his wife had a long journey back and had to get to work the next day.  I saw him and gave him proper respects as he was preparing to leave.  He later turns around in the midst of the loud band and singing and says, "I appreciate what you are doing with your family.  I've been watching you."  

"Thanks so much.  I really appreciate it.", I responded. 

And with a few more words he left.  

It didn't hit me until later what really happened.  I'll put it in perspective for you.  I rarely talk to Joe.  Nothing to wrong with that.  I've rarely seen Joe.  I don't believe I follow him on Instagram or even on Facebook, although I might.  Yet, that's probably the way he sees what I am doing.  I sometimes post about what our family is up to.  Besides, I love when my family (aka, The A4 Squad) is together.  We do all kinds of exciting things together, like spending the night in a hotel during the middle of the week for the fun of it, or getting ice cream in Philadelphia because we saw it on the Food Channel.  
Outside the Franklin Fountain in Philly.
The young lady is a good friend of the family.

In fact, it feels almost empty when we are not rolling together.  Well Joe must have been taking notice.

This got me thinking.  It made me think of how much of an example people look at us and to us for.  There have been many occasions where people say absolutely nothing on social media, but in person will mention what they saw us do on social media. (If you want, follow me on Facebook at Ldijon, Twitter at @NOS4Dads, or Instagram at @dijondabassman.)  I get it.  Francis of Assisi was quoted as saying: Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary."  No, my family is not a gospel, but I want us to follow it.   I want my family to be outstanding.  I want us to be an example for other families.  I want my marriage to be foundational and my boys to be model citizens.   I never want to hear my family wish or say that they would be happier somewhere else.  

This means I have to consistently put in that work.  I have No Off Season.

In your NOS training, consider these questions:
Are you seriously putting in the effort to ensure that your family is happy and satisfied?
Who are you looking up to for guidance?
Who are you mentoring?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before you go, I have to tell you this...

My wife and oldest son had been feverishly preparing for this for over two years. A sojourn to Egypt is what monopolized the attention of this house for about the past week. We've been packing, buying last minute items, and anticipating an almost 24-hour travel. As my wife was packing at the gorgeous time of 4:15 am, I was writing some thoughts to my son. I was giving him advice-technical, moral, physical, and spiritual advice. Even while cutting his hair last night, I was advising him. At the end of the letter, I gave him my blessing. I wrote a letter to Paula as well. And just like the one to my son, I gave her the same type of advice, just more seasoned for her needs. And at the end of the letter, I gave her my blessing. I packed the letters away in their suitcases. They won't see them until they reach their hotel in Egypt. I learned and was reminded of a couple of things from their upcoming experience. First, perseverance has its rewards. They stuck this program out fo

Running with the pack

53:45 unofficial.  That was my time for the Veterans Day 10K race I ran.  53:45 unofficial.  My goal was to knock off some minutes from my 10K last year.  I knocked off about 5 minutes; I am happy about that.  Yet my time was 53:45 unofficial. I had a very good pace starting out.  I actually changed my running style some months ago to conserve a bit of energy.  It worked.  But during the race, I stopped...three times to be exact.  Once for water, the second time I am clueless about, and the third was because I really was tired (next time, I will stay off the late night movies and donuts before race day!)  But that was not my lesson.  My lesson was that I needed to stay in a pack, run with other people to keep a constant pace.  Why is that so important?  Well, I, The Bassman, am a very successful introvert (at least I can be).  I know how to be alone and be comfortable.  I have noticed in the last couple of years that I work best when I work with others.  That's just me.  Tryin

But I Need My Car!

It turned out to be a day of running around the city.  I took care of my minivan; the 'check engine' light was on for the last two days.  So, I dropped the kids off at school, drove to 7-11 to get my coffee and donut, and went to the auto repair shop.  The repair man checks the car and begins giving me an oil change.  He comes back in with the bolt that seals the oil pan and says its damaged.  "You need to get it replaced."  he said. "Okay", I responded as I am sipping my coffee. About three minutes later, he returns and says, "We have to replace the entire oil pan because it is damaged.  I cannot let you drive off with it in this condition.  What are you gonna do?" I'm thinking to myself, "What do you mean, 'What am I gonna do?  I have no car!'"  I begin calling my wife only to remember that she was in an all day conference-I could only text her.  Meanwhile, the repairmen comes back in the room and says to me in his