Skip to main content

It's What's Best For You

I had to have a serious talk with my boys tonight.  I had been noticing some facets of their character that I did not think was necessarily wrong, but it was not what I think was the best.  So just before they went to bed, we had a Five Minute Blitz (our version of a devotional).

As many of you know, I am really working hard to build our famliy on the standards of the Bible.  Well, the backdrop for this conversation stemmed from an abbreviated Deuteronomy 10:12-13:

"And now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God...to love Him...and to observe the Lord's commands that I am giving you today for your own good?"

I have been noticing that they were not giving their full potential in their everyday lives.  Yes, they are boys...young boys at that.  Yet, I know what they are capable of.  I now understand why my dad pushed me so hard.  He encouraged me (made me) to do chores, to wake up early (6am...ish as a teenager-who does that?) on Saturday mornings to chop wood in the middle of the blistering winter (well, it was Atlanta), to get a job ONE day after my 16th birthday at a grocery store, to pay for the gas in my pimped out, navy blue...Chevy Citation...all of these lessons are now starting to make sense. 

So as I spoke with my boys, I had to emphasize that how I am train them is 'for their own good.'  This is training. I even have a motto around the house: if you see me working, YOU work!  I just hope that they understood that this conversation was a demonstration of my love for them.  Talk to me...I am NOS...

Comments

  1. The hubs and I definitely need to bring the scriptures to our niece and nephew as we explain to them our pushing them is for their good. They know we're trying to help them so that things go better for them as they grow, but God will be the one to make it all stick. Thanks D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a "Blitz" devo and work when I am philosophy. You a such a great dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts! Helping our kids realize their full potential is a great challenge for parents. And I love the motto: If you see me working, YOU work! Thanks, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An essential talk. When imparting wisdom, there's no way to ensure another's understanding! One can only plant an ambitious seed; water it frequently with references to nourish the soil. As your boys grow, these seeds will sprout; fighting every grain, piercing the soil to inhale a mighty breath. As you now recall and understand the words/lessons imparted by your father, with this training, so will they. MLB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parenting for Departure

It was a violently cold night.I parked about a block away in Adams Morgan and briskly walked to Bourbon, a restaurant/ bar that specializes in (you guessed it), bourbons.  I was enjoying a birthday celebration with some incredible men that I've known for years.  All of us were fathers, some of young kids and some who are clearly in their twenties.  Since I arrived there last, I had to sit next to the door. People walked in and out, neglectfully leaving the door open.  Ummm, did they not realize that it was -216 degrees?!? I digress.  We talked about different things, such as football, whiskeys, and of coarse, our kids. It was inevitable.  As I mentioned, some of these fathers were already empty-nesters.  As the conversation continued, one of the men said something that completely stuck with me.

"You have to parent for departure.", he said.  Profound.  I don't remember anything else from the night.  It was if Charlie Brown was listening to his teacher as she said, '…

Uggghhhh--Read a book?!? This time with a Solution.

It was almost this time last year I wrote about how my boys would rather go outside, or play on the Wii, or sweep instead of reading a book.  Please, don't get me wrong.  They are highly intelligent kids who do very well in school.  They just believe (as probably do many other kids) that the summer is a time to chill. 

Well, the books are back.  Due to higher grade levels, their books are becoming more complex in ideals, focusing on the author's purpose, allegories, and a whole bunch of other facets of literature that I don't need to get into now.

Each day, I've challenged my boys to read.  They have to...and they don't want to.  It can be a challenge in the house. Well, I had this challenge yet again today.  My son had to read aloud to me.  He read in the most dismal voice imaginable, inducing thoughts of wanting to consume raw red onions and chase them with garlic cloves and prune juice.

Then, brilliance came to mind.

'Dijon, why not read with him?', I th…

Do It Yourself -- Part 1 of Series, 'Parenting for Departure'

I would go to the basement to wash clothes and often smell this weird odor, like something had been burning, but could never figure out what it was.  Each time I used the washer I would smell it.  I thought it was the dryer.  Well, that wasn't it.

My son went to go wash clothes and noticed that the washer stopped working in the middle of the cycle.  I went down to see and saw the plug had COMPLETELY burned out in the socket, underneath some fabric.
Praise God it didn't spark and cause damage to the house.  So my next thought was, 'How am I going to fix this?'

I took a picture of the serial number, called Sears, put in an order for a new power cord, and waited for the arrival.  I'm not too sure why I thought I could put in a new power cord.  I've never done that before.  I figured I better figure it out; the laundromat was getting expensive.

I got some great advice from a friend at church.  He told me to make the boys help me do things around the house.  I to…