Skip to main content

Stones in the River

When the whole nation had finished crossing the Jordan, the Lord said to Joshua, “Choose twelve men from among the people, one from each tribe, and tell them to take up twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan, from right where the priests are standing, and carry them over with you and put them down at the place where you stay tonight.”

So Joshua called together the twelve men he had appointed from the Israelites, one from each tribe, and said to them, “Go over before the ark of the Lord your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.” -- Joshua 4

I can truly say that this has been one of the most eventful years of my life.  I always thought I would write a story of my graduation. Yet, I didn't think that it would have so many details-not like these.  It all began in 1990, but for time sake, I am going to skip some years.

The only way for me to complete this degree and have the flexibility to finish was to work as a substitute teacher. This is the year I believe God had the greatest sense of humor with me. Spiritual Comedy Central, starring...me! I was hired at a school in DC as a substitute teacher. But of course, a sub is only called when you need them. So I truly was not expecting to work more than a couple of days a week. The school started on Tuesday. I got a call that night asking if I could work for the next three days. They asked me if I wanted to teach math or Spanish. Backdrop:  I tutored during the summer and I had to take a test.  I did well in English, but not as well in math. So I told the school director, ‘Spanish’. The three days ended and she asked me if I could come back the next week. Another week passed and I was asked to come back the next week. And the next...and the next. I began making lesson plans with no curriculum or materials. Luckily, my oldest son was in his second year of Spanish. So guess who's first year Spanish textbook I was using? Uh huh, yeah!

Well, I didn't really...

 After inquiring, I was eventually told that the school had not hired a Spanish teacher. What did that mean? I was the full time Spanish teacher. Do I speak Spanish? (How do you say 'no' in Spanish?) But what else did that mean? I suddenly had a full time job. The Bible says, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. -- 2 Corinthians 12:9.  Guess what my weakness was? SPANISH!!!!!

Time has passed.  I graduated from Howard University.  And I am beginning to accept the fact that maybe this has been God’s plan all along. It was His plan to show His power in my weakness. And to show what it means to never give up.
God wrote this story for me to remember and for others to hear.  Especially my boys.  God used me to create a 'No Excuse Zone' in my house. I'm positive they'll have many challenges come their way. But they and their children can always say that I never gave up.  They will come to their Jordan River, see the waters, and see how difficult it may be to cross.  But I have set up a very large stone in the middle of that river to remind them that they too can cross.

Be blessed.  I am NOS...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before you go, I have to tell you this...

My wife and oldest son had been feverishly preparing for this for over two years. A sojourn to Egypt is what monopolized the attention of this house for about the past week. We've been packing, buying last minute items, and anticipating an almost 24-hour travel. As my wife was packing at the gorgeous time of 4:15 am, I was writing some thoughts to my son. I was giving him advice-technical, moral, physical, and spiritual advice. Even while cutting his hair last night, I was advising him. At the end of the letter, I gave him my blessing. I wrote a letter to Paula as well. And just like the one to my son, I gave her the same type of advice, just more seasoned for her needs. And at the end of the letter, I gave her my blessing. I packed the letters away in their suitcases. They won't see them until they reach their hotel in Egypt. I learned and was reminded of a couple of things from their upcoming experience. First, perseverance has its rewards. They stuck this program out fo

Running with the pack

53:45 unofficial.  That was my time for the Veterans Day 10K race I ran.  53:45 unofficial.  My goal was to knock off some minutes from my 10K last year.  I knocked off about 5 minutes; I am happy about that.  Yet my time was 53:45 unofficial. I had a very good pace starting out.  I actually changed my running style some months ago to conserve a bit of energy.  It worked.  But during the race, I stopped...three times to be exact.  Once for water, the second time I am clueless about, and the third was because I really was tired (next time, I will stay off the late night movies and donuts before race day!)  But that was not my lesson.  My lesson was that I needed to stay in a pack, run with other people to keep a constant pace.  Why is that so important?  Well, I, The Bassman, am a very successful introvert (at least I can be).  I know how to be alone and be comfortable.  I have noticed in the last couple of years that I work best when I work with others.  That's just me.  Tryin

I'm So Thankful For...

The other day, I went to my boys' school for their annual Thanksgiving Holiday service.  The Head of School told what he was thankful for.  He said how he was grateful for the big things, such as students, faculty, and family.  He also said he was thankful for the simple things, such as pencils and rulers, kids who look him in the eye when they greet him, and students who don't.  It was very heart warming and reflective. Well, it's my turn.  I am thankful for my fantastic life, full of its ups and downs. I am thankful for my dazzling wife, who has taken me leaps and bounds. I am thankful for my fun-loving boys, who keep my life alive. I am thankful for their numerous toys, and how they keep them busy when often times I can't. I am thankful for my wonderful Maryland home-it helps to keep us warm. And thankful that I have a place that keeps us safe from the storms. I am thankful that God has given me a chance to teach, where even I have learned alot. I am thank