Skip to main content

What Color is Your Santa?


Christmas time in New York is always a fun time. The animated Christmas windows, decorations, and the smell of roasted peanuts on the streets is always a treat. Macy's after the Thanksgiving Day Parade becomes a human sea of eager shoppers looking for the quick sales.  Another Macy's tradition is on the top floor called Santa Land. If you've never been, its a treat.  You meander through a constructed area with Christmas trees, trains, and elves. At the end of the path you can take a picture with Santa Claus. My wife used to do this when she was younger.  This time the excursion to Santa Land turned out to be a lot different.

We received word as we were in line that there was a African American Santa or for our reading, a Black Santa.  There was a secret code that all the elves knew to get a picture with him. We had to ask for 'the special'. We had to wait a little longer for 'our' Santa to prepare.  We're not sure why, but have assumptions. As the elves ushered us in, we saw Santa patiently waiting for us.  The elf took pictures of us as Santa asked what we wanted for Christmas. We got our family picture and walked some more through the largest department store in the world.

SKKKRRRRRRRR!!!! Question: Why were other families able to take pictures with the other Santas while we had to wait? Was Black Santa taking pics with other people? Why were the elves scouring around to accommodate and help us take a picture with Black Santa? All of these questions flowed through our heads as we headed back home.
We were comfortable taking a picture with Black Santa. In fact, it was comforting to know that Macy's made arrangements like this.  My boys are of age that they don't believe in Santa at all. My oldest even mentioned that it would have been okay to take a picture with a regular (Caucasian) Santa.  It was not a big deal to them or me either way. The question came down to these: were African Americans alerted to Black Santa? If so, did they have a preference? Another question (you ready?): were others alerted that there was a Black Santa? If so, which did they prefer?  Please understand that I am in no way trying to start conflict. We have great relationships with all races. We were just curious as how this situation in Macy's would turn out.  If Black Santa was one of the 'regulars' taking pictures, did other families have access to him? And would they have been okay if their picture had to be with an African American? 

I am very happy that my sons have true friendships with people of all races. They have an  awareness of diversity that will take them a long way.  Yet, I know we all have our prejudices. You do. I do. We all do. In addition, Santa has always been Caucasian, which is a norm in our society.  So is Barbie, and oftentimes, even pictures of Jesus. Arguments can be passed around all over this conversation.

Here's my point. We live in a world that has become more socially and culturally conscience and diverse.  We have accepted so many nationalities, cultures and gender bases. Ideals that were once ostracized are now the norm.  And yet, we still have that 'twitch' inside of us when we experience certain things in society.  I want my boys to be aware and socially conscience of their surroundings.  This takes me being aware of what's happening.  Just some thoughts.  I hope this creates some great conversation. I'm still in training. I'm NOS...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before you go, I have to tell you this...

My wife and oldest son had been feverishly preparing for this for over two years. A sojourn to Egypt is what monopolized the attention of this house for about the past week. We've been packing, buying last minute items, and anticipating an almost 24-hour travel. As my wife was packing at the gorgeous time of 4:15 am, I was writing some thoughts to my son. I was giving him advice-technical, moral, physical, and spiritual advice. Even while cutting his hair last night, I was advising him. At the end of the letter, I gave him my blessing. I wrote a letter to Paula as well. And just like the one to my son, I gave her the same type of advice, just more seasoned for her needs. And at the end of the letter, I gave her my blessing. I packed the letters away in their suitcases. They won't see them until they reach their hotel in Egypt. I learned and was reminded of a couple of things from their upcoming experience. First, perseverance has its rewards. They stuck this program out fo

I'm So Thankful For...

The other day, I went to my boys' school for their annual Thanksgiving Holiday service.  The Head of School told what he was thankful for.  He said how he was grateful for the big things, such as students, faculty, and family.  He also said he was thankful for the simple things, such as pencils and rulers, kids who look him in the eye when they greet him, and students who don't.  It was very heart warming and reflective. Well, it's my turn.  I am thankful for my fantastic life, full of its ups and downs. I am thankful for my dazzling wife, who has taken me leaps and bounds. I am thankful for my fun-loving boys, who keep my life alive. I am thankful for their numerous toys, and how they keep them busy when often times I can't. I am thankful for my wonderful Maryland home-it helps to keep us warm. And thankful that I have a place that keeps us safe from the storms. I am thankful that God has given me a chance to teach, where even I have learned alot. I am thank

He can do it...

My wife was in a minor car accident that has really given her some challenges with her back. This past Sunday, she was in so much pain that it was extremely hard for her to get out of bed. Well, I had to make a decision; let my oldest stay with her and help or bring both boys with me to church and let her rest. I wrestled with the decision for a bit because I don't want them to miss church. At the same time I did not want my wife to be in need and no one be there for her. I decided to have my oldest stay with her. Before I left, I pulled him to the side and gave him very specific instructions. "Son, I want you to make sure that your play time is at a minimum and ensure that mommy is well taken care of. If she needs food, drinks, whatever, make sure she gets it." He said he was fine with that. Well, I take the youngest with me to church and choir rehearsal. After church, I returned home to see my beautiful wife looking a lot better. I asked her how she was doin