Skip to main content

Dinner Time

The dinner table is probably the most interesting place in our home.  Its definitely where the most action takes place.  It's where we get to know our boys and where they get to know us.  It's the hub of the home.

Yet, this 'hub' is vibrant when everyone is there.  I cannot explain if I tried.  There are nights when there are just two of us.  Most of the time there are at least three of us together.  We talk about issues and enjoy each other's company.  Yet, when we're all there, it is all the way LIVE!!!!!

The dinner table is so fun and full of life.  It's like everyone is internally excited to see each other.  There's laughter, joking, and some eating.  I want to make sure that continues. 

I saw an article from the website WebMD entitled 'Family Dinners Are Important' by Jeanie Lerche Davis stating 10 benefits of eating together.  

  • Everyone eats healthier meals.
  • Kids are less likely to become overweight or obese.
  • Kids more likely to stay away from cigarettes.
  • They're less likely to drink alcohol.
  • They won't likely try marijuana.
  • They're less likely to use illicit drugs.
  • Friends won't likely abuse prescription drugs.
  • School grades will be better.
  • You and your kids will talk more.
  • You'll be more likely to hear about a serious problem.
  • Kids will feel like you're proud of them.
  • There will be less stress and tension at home.

If these are true benefits, I'll take the dinner table anytime.  I'm NOS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parenting for Departure

It was a violently cold night.I parked about a block away in Adams Morgan and briskly walked to Bourbon, a restaurant/ bar that specializes in (you guessed it), bourbons.  I was enjoying a birthday celebration with some incredible men that I've known for years.  All of us were fathers, some of young kids and some who are clearly in their twenties.  Since I arrived there last, I had to sit next to the door. People walked in and out, neglectfully leaving the door open.  Ummm, did they not realize that it was -216 degrees?!? I digress.  We talked about different things, such as football, whiskeys, and of coarse, our kids. It was inevitable.  As I mentioned, some of these fathers were already empty-nesters.  As the conversation continued, one of the men said something that completely stuck with me.

"You have to parent for departure.", he said.  Profound.  I don't remember anything else from the night.  It was if Charlie Brown was listening to his teacher as she said, '…

Do It Yourself -- Part 1 of Series, 'Parenting for Departure'

I would go to the basement to wash clothes and often smell this weird odor, like something had been burning, but could never figure out what it was.  Each time I used the washer I would smell it.  I thought it was the dryer.  Well, that wasn't it.

My son went to go wash clothes and noticed that the washer stopped working in the middle of the cycle.  I went down to see and saw the plug had COMPLETELY burned out in the socket, underneath some fabric.
Praise God it didn't spark and cause damage to the house.  So my next thought was, 'How am I going to fix this?'

I took a picture of the serial number, called Sears, put in an order for a new power cord, and waited for the arrival.  I'm not too sure why I thought I could put in a new power cord.  I've never done that before.  I figured I better figure it out; the laundromat was getting expensive.

I got some great advice from a friend at church.  He told me to make the boys help me do things around the house.  I to…

Down & Dirty- Having Serious Conversations with Your Children

I have two sons, 16 and 12.They truly keep my life moving. As I have told many people (as well as those who personally know us), my house stays live, never a dull moment.I can boldly say that since I have been married and with children, I have yet to be bored in over 18 years!God knows how to make life to the fullest!
Well, that brings me to this point.  A part of having an ever-exciting time in my home is due to talks.  You know…talks.  Yes, there are the talks about the birds and the bees.  But who are we really fooling, birds and the bees are really about sex!  Just say it…sex!  What I know of sex is often times completely different from what my boys know.  And it can be shocking about how much they know and how much they don’t know. Okay, we move on.
Then there are other real talks.  Talks about life, chores, responsibility, girls, friendships, money, family, school, and the list goes on and on.  I am reading a devotional series on ‘Being a Fulfilled Father’.  The devotional I read…